Quality Assurance Manager
Livermore, CAApply Here
Protein Research is looking for someone who likes a fast-paced environment, someone who motivates others and who lives and breathes food safety and quality. This person is great at problem solving and prides themselves on ensuring quality systems are being followed and that products meet Food Safety standards which include HACCP, SQF, NSF, Organic, Gluten Free, Kosher and Halal certification standards. This position manages and coordinates activities and operations of Quality Assurance throughout the facility and oversees the Quality Assurance Analysts.
Why join our Protein Research Family
We are located in sunny Livermore, California, near the 580 freeway.
We are a family-oriented company that aims to balance work, family, and having fun. We work hard AND we have fun along the way.
Our core values are:
- Embrace innovation growth and forward thinking.
- Invest in enduring relationships with customers, vendors and each other.
- Approach every challenge as an opportunity to learn, improve, and grow.
- Value and respect the experience, expertise and knowledge people bring to the team.
Our employees are our most important partners in achieving our mission and vision. We support a diverse, inclusive and equitable culture with opportunities for growth. We value teamwork, collaboration and giving one’s best to our people. We are all about product quality and exceeding customer expectations that result in long-term partnerships, buyer satisfaction, and positive growth.
Protein Research offers generous competitive compensation and benefits package for all eligible employees that include 100% coverage for employee’s medical premiums (75% for spouse and 50% for child/ren), 401(K) match, paid holidays, vacation time off, sick leave and discretionary bonuses.
Getting interested? Read on!
- Primary SQF Practitioner to ensure SQF code provisions are met to meet the Company SQF certification.
- Manage the maintenance of quality systems and facilitate continuous quality improvements.
- Manage compliance to NSF standards under 21 CFR part 111 and 117.
- Manage HACCP and Food Safety programs as a PCQI trained individual.
- Support internal, external, and third-party audits in accordance with GMP regulations, industry best practices, Protein Research standard operating procedures, and quality policies.
- Develop appropriate responses to internal audit observations (CAPA).
- Create and manage CAPA reports as needed.
- Update Food Safety and HACCP plan as needed.
- Stay current with changes to current Good Manufacturing Practices, including FDA, EU, CN, and other regulatory bodies (relevant to Protein Research activities) and guidance bodies including SQF and NSF standards so that Protein Research compliance policies are current and effective.
- Assist and support Food Defense program.
- Manage the Company training program.
- Hold or Assist trainings on GMP, HACCP, Food Safety and other plant quality trainings as needed as well as maintain training records/matrix.
- Manage the Company Vendor Qualification program.
- Manage Supplier Score Card program, working closely with Purchasing on a consistent basis.
- Manage the Company Complaint program.
- Support the creation, review and updating of SOPs and other controlled documents.
- Manage the review of records for completeness and accuracy.
- Review, create and/or assist with in-process/reprocess documents.
- Manage Change Control Requests (CCRs) through the change control process and verification of successful completion of CCRs.
- Manage the documentation control program including but not limited to the creation and processing of all document content, creating, maintaining, and verifying documentation records including Master Manufacturing Records to the electronic internal system.
- Manage the implementation and maintenance of the deviation program/report process including trending and presenting data on a routine basis for process improvement.
- Manage the approved raw material and finished goods specification paper and electronic files.
- Maintain current knowledge of government and industry compliance standards.
- Collaborate with Research and Development personnel during new product start-ups and support the establishment of key checkpoints for new products and processes.
- Manage the Quality Analyst’s review and disposition of finished products for distribution.
- Support current requirements for Kosher, Halal, Organic, Gluten Free, non-GMO, and any other certifications.
- Oversee Quality label review and compliance to company defined expectations.
- Respond to Customer requests and meet Customer expectations through document requests.
- Provide day-to-day management, guidance and oversight of the Quality Assurance team and actively work to promote and recognize performance.
- Keep up to date on overall activities of the team, identifying problem areas and taking corrective actions.
- Approve Time off and payroll entries.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Executive team.
- Provides back-up for the Director of Quality.
FOOD SAFETY REQUIREMENTS/RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Comply with all Plant, State and Federal OSHA, EPA, FDA, CDPH, HACCP, NSF and SQF regulations.
- Conduct verification of monitoring activities to assure finished product comply with food safety and quality specifications.
- Organize/Participate in the yearly review of the Food Safety system.
- Manage the maintenance of the Food Safety and Quality systems.
- Suggest and implement changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase food safety and efficiency of operation departments.
- Interface with other departments and trainers to develop and implement Food Safety and Food Defense programs as required.
SQF PRACTIONER RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead integration of the current Quality Assurance and Food Safety processes into one process for development and implementation. This includes HACCP system, regulatory audits, Quality Systems Review process (QSR), Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), incoming ingredient inspections, product scoring, food safety audits, field complaints, and standardized work instructions.
- Develop and execute SQF process improvements to achieve/maintain SQF Level 2 Certification at the facility(s) and to meet all Protein Research requirements related to quality and Food Safety programs.
- Oversee plant(s) compliance and interactions with SQF Certification Body.
- Oversee plant(s) compliance and interactions with NSF Certification Body.
- Assure facility(s) meets all requirements related to SQF Trademark use.
- Assure facility(s) meets all requirements related to NSF Trademark use.
- Develop and maintain systems to assure compliance to all SQF (GFSI) System requirements including Commitment, Document Control and Records, Specifications, Attaining Food Safety, Verification, Product Identification Trace and Recall, Incident Management, Food Safety Fundamentals – Building and Equipment Design and Construction, and Food Safety Fundamentals – Pre-requisite and Preventive Control Programs.
- Maintain all registries as required by SQF and NSF.
- Manage finished product evaluation system and provide leadership to drive improvements in key customer/consumer Quality attributes.
- Train and maintain all training records for critical food safety and quality requirements. Document and maintain training registry for all employees at the manufacturing site(s).
- Oversee monitoring, verification, and validation activities to ensure that all products leaving the facility(s) meet Protein Research’s Food Safety and Quality standards.
- Provide guidance and leadership in situations where deviations have occurred, or a potential risk has been identified related to food safety and/or quality attributes.
- Reassess SQF plan(s) whenever there is a change to program, process, procedure, ingredient, equipment, industry philosophy, technology, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in related field or equivalent required, master’s degree preferred
- Four to six years related experience or equivalent
- Strong knowledge of nutritional supplement manufacturing processes, computer, and equipment validation, GMPs, and product/process validation
- SQF Practitioner Certification required
- PCQI certified
- HACCP certified
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize statistics in evaluation and trending of data
- Thorough knowledge of FDA regulations
- Experience with laboratory environment, equipment, and safety procedures
- Experience in research and development, including understanding of statistical analysis
- Demonstrated proficiency in supervising and motivating subordinates
- Basic competence in subordinates’ duties and tasks
- Commitment to excellence and exacting standards
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Acute attention to detail and assist in streamlining procedures and improve document and workflow
- Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees
- Proficient on Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook and MRP software, preferably DBA Manufacturing
- Proven leadership and business acumen skills
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Strong people skills
- Ability to deal and communicate effectively with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels
- Working knowledge of data collection, data analysis, evaluation, and scientific method
- Ability to develop clear, concise, and timely oral and written reports
- Must be able to speak, read, write, and understand the primary language(s) used in the workplace.
- Bilingual skills a plus
SQF PRACTITIONER QUALIFICATIONS:
The SQF Code defines the required qualifications for this role in Section 220.127.116.11 “SQF Practitioner”:
- SQF Practitioner shall be employed by the supplier as a company employee on a full-time basis.
- Hold a position of responsibility in relation to the management of the supplier’s SQF System.
- Have completed a HACCP training course.
- Be competent to implement and maintain HACCP based food safety plans and food defense.
- Understand the SQF Code Level 2 and the requirements to implement and maintain the SQF System relevant to the supplier scope of certification.
$90K- $130KApply Here